Alfred St John is a Trinidadian-American living in Rochester for 49 years.
His career in electronics span employment at both General
Dynamics and the Eastman Kodak Company. He is also a
founding member of the Rochester West Indian Festival
Organization (RWIFO). But many know him for his passion for
A self-taught steeldrum player, he formed his now famous
ALFRED ST JOHN'S TRINIDAD & TOBAGO STEELBAND in 1972.
The band plays many venues on the East coast and has
helped establish Rochester as the home of great musical talent.
The music is a gift the band is proud to share with Rochester.
His many contributions include:
· Helping “at-risk-youths” through structure programs:
· Technical trade teaching electronics
· Kuumba Consultants, an arts-in-education agency to
introduce musical activities to Rochester kids.
· Donated or discounted performances including:
· Senior Living communities in the county
· Support of Annual Caribbean-American
· International Day at local colleges
· Agencies serving patients with Cancer, Diabetes, are
Differently Abled, to name a few.